Re: RE: what is community?

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 05:27:14 PST

nate writes
>The argument has been made in Rose (1999) and Popkewitz's article on
>Vygotsky and Dewey that community is about "control", "governing". Both
>come
>from a Foucaultian perspective in which community is seen formost as
>answering the liberal problematic of how to govern.

this is precisely the argument offered by Iris Murdoch in her article
"the ideal of community" (not "the politics of community" - this latter
title is froma book by Nancy Frazer and Lacey, also questioning the
liberal assumptions about 'community' from a foucauldian perspective) -

in oder for community to exist as a community, there are, as eva pointed
out,
assumptions of homogeneity that do not actually exist; to belong to any
community,
a certain amount of conformity is required - in agreement here with what
phillip white noted, for queers, homogeneity invariably assumes
heterosexualuty, for example,
and furthermore, heterosexuality assumes itself representative of
everyone's
interests in a community -
it is, as nate explained much better than i did, a "system" premised on
kinds of control - i was wondering if we aren't all just idealizing the
word "community" without

considering the implications of how normativity functions.
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu