Re: more myopia

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 06:45:25 PST

eva writes:
>But what I have taken from old xmca discussions about
>communities-of-practice et al. is that practices MAKE the
>community/activity system -- so community will typically NOT involve a
>homogeneous set of subjects, but a variety of more or less complementary
>subjectivities according to the practiced division of labor within the
>community/activity system. Methinks there are many myopias and deafnesses
>enacted to keep these subjects in their respective places.

In the Butler/Scott edited "Feminists theorize the political" - one of the
authors there (afraid the name has escaped me lobes) wrote that the model
of community
belongs to a patriarchal ideal, a way of keeping control by creating
myths of utopias where none can exist so long as a community is based
on some sort of faux shared practice/identity.
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu