Rabbis and Rabelais

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@ped.gu.se)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 16:02:40 PST

Ah,
that Jewis joke of Eugene's beats a dog joke any time! I have been
savouring it several times with chuckles and smiles, as it reveals new
layers. It may of course be just me being dense to need so many readings --
but it also rings a bell about the slow appreciation that befits the work
of understanding.

At 14.52 -0500 0-03-01, Eugene Matusov scrobe:
>A troubled young Jewish couple tired of constant squirrels and scandals with
>each other decided to go to a very wise rabbi to decide who is right between
>them and how to finish their conflicts. First, the husband told his story
>and his complains. The rabbi thought in a while in silence and replied, "I
>think you are right!" Then the wife told her story. The rabbi thought in a
>while and replied, "You are right!" The husband got really upset over that,
>he yelled at the rabbi, "How both of us can be right if we are telling
>opposite things?! You are inconsistent!!" The rabbi thought in a while on
>what the man said and replied, "Hum, you are right." The wife exclaimed,
>"But you can't go both ways!!" The rabbi sighed and said, "And you are right
>as well..."

I have also been wondering this day, how come the Rabelaisian streak of
corporeality and reversed relations of power is no longer funny in this
Bakhtinian meeting ground, but offensive? And worthy of public denouncement
from an oldtimer, who used to be pretty feisty herself in the olden days.
There must have been a punishment to teach such discipline.

Eva