RE: not the only time

From: Helen Beetham (H.Beetham@plymouth.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 03:11:04 PST

In Rorty's case (as in Lyotard's) isn't incommensurability
something like cultural relativism? Indicating the impossibility of
collective action which is not always-already repressive (of some un-
emancipated uncollectivised minority)? Discursive muddle does
not preclude the possibility of moving towards common understandings or
good-enough understandings to enable collective action IMHO. In my very
unsubtle understanding of activity it seems to me precisely the category
which enables people to move beyond discursive incommensurability.

>prolepsis...and also, what Rorty is referring to in his discussion of
"incommensurability"

Helen