Listserv analysis

From: Nate (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 11:59:54 PST

Sara said,

"Dear Eugene,

You have my permission to use the story, but which one? I told a couple. By
the way, this leads me to ask about the use of text from this listserve. If
I ever wanted to analyze an exchange, is that done? Is there a policy on
that, or should I ask each individual that I'm drawing from?"

While I don't think there is a policy, June-July of 1991 in the x-org ftp
archives has an interesting discussion to say the least.

ftp://weber.ucsd.edu/pub/lchc/

A recent paper using a Foucauldian discourse analysis was critiqued for not
citing those whose discourse he was utilizing (early childhood teacher). An
interesting tension between protecting the rights of human subjects on one
hand (a very tense issue at our University right now) and giving credit
where credit is due. The argument was the teachers should not have been so
much protected as subjects as recognized as professionals through citations.

My understanding is the x-org threads never got so far as to propose a
specific policy, but the discussion and the various sides of the issue are
interesting.

The files are in .gz format, so if your interested in the discussion and can
not access the archive I would be willing to send/post them as text files.

Nate