silent echos

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@mail.lesley.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 06:31:26 PST

At 2:09 PM -0500 2/26/00, Diane Hodges wrote:

>silence means different things for different people: for me, it is what
>keeps gays and queers
>trapped outside, beaten up, it is what enables incest and hate crimes,
>what permits the adults of the world to fondle and molest young shildren
>with the threat "don't tell" -
>ti think silence is complicated, more than a response it is a punishment,
>often connected to shame, humiliation, fear, and damaged feelings.

to kathie's response:
>>so, i come back to silence
>>as a response
>>as a kind of complicity (but, oh! there are dangerous echoes there!)

of Tatiana translation:
>>>"We don't have the power to hear
>>> Our words echoing in other minds and souls, --

Silence too can be a meditation -- not an escape from the world, but a thoughtful consideration of it.

A watching.

A way to make space for others.

A way to make oneself differently than others.

A determination.

And yet all the while, still a complicity.

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley College, 29 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
 and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]