Rules not to call me a dummy

From: Matvey Sokolovsky (sokolovs@uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 10:47:24 PST

It is pleasant for me to observe an enthusiasm of how behavior rules are
accepted. Even my friend Eugene reports into supporters' camp with a
cautious remark that he is a Mafiosi from Russia and consequently cares
little about rules, laws, cultures, mailing lists, etc.

It is hard to argue that very few people enjoy when they are called
dummies. Except for those, of course, who buy "Whatever for dummies." It is
hard for me to believe, though, that everyone on xmca perceives every
single other fellow xmca member as a source of personal enlightenment. My
guess is that there are at least a few of persons who think that some
particular others are not so smart. And a lot may think that I am,
personally, at least crazy.

So my first question is whether people believe that by accepting some
particular behavioral rules we would change attitudes or simply covering
attitudes up is good enough.

My second question is whether xmca members believe that rules change
cultures. Particularly, my assumption is that sarcasm exists in our
contemporary culture. So where the egg would be -- banning sarcasm would
change the culture or change of the culture would eliminate sarcasm?

Finally, Lenin used sarcasm masterfully to gain supporters. Those the aim
of his sarcasm were able to retaliate. It was mostly not very nice. I know
at least one person who was very politely made to leave critical job for
her because of her unmatching worldview. She is not a happy person now. I
wish I find a place where disagreement is not personalized (abstract people
arguing about abstract ideas about an abstract world in an abstract place
of an abstract universe) but meanwhile I prefer to be killed buy a sword,
not a smile.

PS. This discussion may be a good thematic dialogue for the SRAD
conference. I use this opportunity to advertise it again
http://www.norwich.edu/srad/program2000.htm

Matvey Sokolovsky