bounced? or not

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 07:47:49 PST

Apologies if anyone receives this twice. I was 'told' it had bounced.
Then, a test message I sent out never appeared in my inbox but someone
else did receive it. Since the below is a complete version of a message
sent out half composed, I'd like it to show up. Gremlins grumble grumble

>Sorry folks, I was in the middle of writing the last message -- hit the send
>accidently
>

>Thanks to Bill for naming what is so simple after all --
>>
>>Devices as patronization and sarcasm (mea culpa) do not work, but again, it
>is in the interpretation and in tolerance -- was that really patronization
>or an clumsy attempt of politeness? Was that really sarcasm or an attempt
>at finding humor in the situation?
>
>I wonder if inconsideration is always a sign of vulnerability.
>I know that the meaning of that statement will be very different, depending
>on who reads it.
>I address it to myself.
>
>Sometimes it's hard to write from a "place of power" & non-vulnerability.
>From that position, it's easier to be gracious and generous towards the
>perceived flaws of others, which are after all only signs of our own.
>
>I can't agree with Bruce, however, that we should assume a legal stance,
>read only the referential content of messages, avoid discussion of "tone,
>mode of address" -- It makes sense to do that, doesn't it? for the reasons
>Bruce cited: It's more difficult to come to agreement on "tone." For me,
>this problem suggests a different solution -- it is a reminder to all of us
>who listen for relational cues to go at them sideways, without accusing
>individuals of not being whomever we want to be on the "other side" of us.
>Mea culpa.
>
>I also think that Bill's suggestion to pay attention to who takes the floor
>is another possible 'solution.' Finally, no solutions are final.
>
>Judy

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183