Inherent instability of activity systems

From: Rosa Graciela Montes (rmontes@siu.buap.mx)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 08:12:39 PST

The following is a blurb from a discussion by Bill Blanton of "Engestrom's
trajectory". Originally posted on xpractice (1995), now obtainable
through ftp at the following site:

ftp://weber.ucsd.edu/pub/lchc/chapters/engestrom

The paper discusses among other things, the four fundational
principles of activity theory the final one of which is the
following:

"The final principle is that inner contradictions are
the source of change in the activity system. These expansive
cycles are a function of the tension created by the collective
subject engaging in goal-directed activity. An acitivit system
is a perpetual change machine, transforming itself through a
series of expansive cycles. With disequilibrium as the norm,
the movement through their expansive cycles is energized by
inner contradictions which create disturbances and ruptures in
the flow of normal activity. The expansive cycle (Engestrom, 1987)
begins in a "business-as-usual-state", focusing on internalization
and socialization. During this phase, beginners are trained to
become competent members of the activity system and to enter the
community. As inner contradictions and disruptions create disturbances
within the system, emphasis is placed on the creation of tools to
reduce tensions. Externalization, the apex of transformation, is
reached when new tools and critical self-reflection are used to
modify or to create a new activity system that replaces the old
system."

I think this paper must have been discussed previously on the
list. I don't know how I got it otherwise. But a whole lot of
it just went completely over my head when I first read it.

The events of the last couple of months, however painful (and I sincerely
hope nobody felt seriously bruised), helped me gain some level of
understanding of the above.

A problem I have in thinking is that I need to pin down abstract
concepts to concrete instances before I can understand them. I
have always attributed this to functioning with two languages and two
sets of abstract conceptual systems. (Piaget might have a different
interpretation though :-) ). Anyway, all our discussions lately
made the above concrete for me.

One comment, since new members are constantly being "admitted"
inner-contradictions are constantly being re-energized or new ones
introduced. How can you ever have a state of "rest" that might permit
or facilitate externalization.? The image that came to mind was the
transition stage in labor when contractions come fast and furious with no
rhythm, no periodicity, no regularity that might help one adjust
or anticipate or form a plan ...

--Rosa