Re: Genre and communities

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 12:26:56 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
> If we consider the genre
>in relationship to the community which it pervades (for whom it is
>appropriate, natural, etc.) politeness might even be seen to be one of the
>least malleable of genres.

        paul - to suggest that a genre is malleable surprises me - for me the
malleablility would be situated within the agent - although i am glad to
see you write this, for now i have a clearer understanding about conflicts
between people. it has always surprised me that when it has been pointed
out to someone that their discourse is rude, and they not only deflect the
observation, but continue on being rude. now i can understand this
behavior more clearly, for perhaps there is a different belief about where
polite behavior resides, or who needs to practice it.

phillip