Re: Pedagogical genres -- the what & the how....

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 20:42:26 PST

Paul, Are we talking past each other? I'm not sure if we agree, and if we
don't, what it is we're disagreeing about. I do think that genres like
discourse practices more generally can be invoked without full subscription
by the writer. One can as you suggest take up "a little fruit on a genre
tree, or a mushroom budding up from a genre mycelia." As you also say, the
notion of genre isn't restricted to its textual realization; however,
textual moves within one genre can invoke another one. In that sense, the
genre is malleable. When the cop who is giving me a ticket starts to chat
about the weather or the book on the seat next to me, he is in my view
stretching the parameters of what it means to be a cop giving a ticket.

What do you think?

Judy

>I wasn't under the impression that the discussion of genre was restricted to
>writing however. Did I miss something.? Law enforcement genres would
>radiates throughout our culture:.....
 My point is
>that the genres of a cop's COP consist of fairly well defined and rigid
>audience/interlocutor constructions that so strongly shape the communicative
>patterns that cops have a hard time socializing with people outside their
>COP. The choice of genre in this situation isn 't too malleable. That's
>a half-baked idea, but I do know where the ingredients came from for the
>batter.
>
>Paul H. Dillon

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183