Re: Pedagogical genres -- the what & the how....

From: Randy Bomer (rbomer@indiana.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 08:09:28 PST

I remember that story about the letter and the editor, and I remember
thinking he was a scoundrel. It was probably a mistake for the teacher not
to edit the letter for a larger audience. Maybe s/he wanted people to see
that these were "real" kids or maybe there were just so many kids doing so
many things that the one teacher decided not to bottleneck the process by
editing everything that went out. But the editor's decision was ideological
and not a necessary feature of a tertiary artifact. S/he applied different
practices to young people than to adults, to schoolchildren than to
journalists. That's unjust.

The fact that school is a tertiary artifact of our culture doesn't, to me,
mean that it has to be reified. Its very tertiary-ness might make its
boundaries and definitions more subject to negotiation and change. If not,
a lot of us are wasting a lot of time.

Still, you're right about schools being real. The words "real" and
"authentic" are, to me, useful in describing relations between language
users on the generative and receiving ends of a transaction. It doesn't
mean school-as-usual doesn't really occur in the three dimensional world; it
just means that much of the language use in school (at least that which is
valued and evaluated as "work") is pretend. That can be otherwise - and
sometimes is.

I guess the hope for changing the wider public's attitudes about writing and
"writing" is that now more people are growing up in school where they have
some experience with writing rather than "writing." Those people and their
parents know that something else is possible. And so maybe the cultural
definitions of school and its work might slowly multiply, if not change.
After all, the editors notion that young children's writing should be
grammatically and orthographically correct was something s/he learned in
school, right?

Randy Bomer
Indiana University