Re: Pedagogical genres -- the what & the how....

From: Paul Prior (p-prior@uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 16:43:53 PST

Judy,

I'm not sure if we do differ in our reading of Freedman. When I made the
point about representing school as fairly dysfunctional, I was alluding
(vaguely) to the same preference you're noting, that schools should move
ever closer to workplaces. And I agree with your later point, that schools
(though very problematic--yet which alternative social organizations of the
past were free of problems?) have a critical function in producing the
kinds of societies most of us live in (fairly global, complex, rapidly
changing, fairly literate and technological, full of serious games intended
to create personal and social change). I actually think many people do
learn things in school that help them in learning other things outside of
school (and vice versa for that matter). I also think that school is
actually a critical social prototype for an expansive development of
tertiary artifacts. Rereading Luria's Uzbekistani data as well as Scribner
(another co-thread here), I am really struck by how much the non-schooled
they play.

And your comments (re: polar oppposites) on what is useful also make sense
to me. Representations and rules *may* be useful in the learning process
without being sound theoretically or without totally accounting for the
fully embodied practice. They are presumably tools for regulating
practice, for channeling attention and managing affect and the like. For
example, the usual school definitions of paragraphs are fairly obviously
wrong or useless, yet I can see that for students who bring the right
literate experiences to those rules they can help with the writing of
common school genres. On the other hand, they do nothing or worse for
students who don't bring those experiences, and I don't see any such value
in many of the rules and representations, and (as Rand Spiro has suggested
in some interesting studies) there's always the question of how to balance
immediate clarity with an eventual need for messy complexity, which is
actually a key thread of Dias et al's argument. I guess the question then
is how to determine the immediate and longer-term consequences of such
representations and rules.