Re: middle class/intellectual labor

From: Paul Dillon (dillonph@northcoast.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 08:02:37 PST

Matvey,

Hi. I liked your discussion of the middle class/intellectual labor
discussion even though I disagree with it in principle. You seem to be
restricting the notion of "intellectual labor" to some kind of critical
intellectual activity; as in your statement that hippies are more
intellectual than bank managers. Having lived around the former off and on
for more than thirty years all I can say about that is: it depends. In
Haight-Ashbury in Fall 1966 that would have been true, but not so after
summer 1997. In many ways, hippies are classic examples of American
anti-intellectualism and the hippie world view is much more irrationalist
than critical--hence the emphasis on non-Western religions and esoteric
Western traditions (eg Tarot cards).

I also totally agree that maintenance of a strong middle class is directly
related to the need to provide markets for capitalist production. But . . .

When I indicated the relationship between intellectual labor and the middle
class, I was taking advantage of Star and Bowker's discussion of
"classifications". The intellectual labor I was pointing to is simply
contrasted with manual labor along a continuum of skill levels: intellectual
labor in this sense consists of nothing more nor less than producing,
distributing, and exchanging classifications. The bank manager works
exclusively with classifications, so does the bank teller. The difference
between the former and the latter probably being the scope and the depth of
knowledge of the institutionally relevant classificatory schemes, even
though, as is often the case, the teller be more intellectual in your sense
than the bank manager. In fact I'd imagine it more likely to find a bank
teller reading Habermas than the manager. Hippies also use extensive
classificatory systems but mainly for consumption of various illegal
substances and evaluating music.

My point was that when the problem of intellectual labor in marxist social
theory is viewed with the optic provided by Star and Bowker, we have a new
and perhaps more productive way to treat intellectual labor than when we
restrict it to the traditional concept of intellectual that seems to inform
your comments. Although I don't have any data on this, I'd be willing to
wager that, on the average, levels of consumption increase directly in
relation to the degree to which labor is intellectual in this sense. The
analysis would be complex and need to take into account unions and other
factors directly associated with the class struggle concerning the
distribution of the social product between labor and capital.

Any thoughts?

Paul H. Dillon