Russian Vygotsky Conference

From: Pedro R. Portes (prport01@louisville.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 16:10:16 PST

>FROM DOT ROBBINS PER HER REQUEST.
SHE AND LSV'S GRANDAUGHTER WILL BE IN OUR PROGRAM AT AERA IN NEW ORLEANS IN
APRIL....
...same as Gordon's recent forwarding...

>>Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:12:35 -0800
>>From: Dot Robbins <drobbins@socket.net>
>>To: prport01@athena.louisville.edu
>>Subject: Russian Vygotsky Conference
>>
>>Dear Friends,
>>This summer there will be a Vygotsky Summer Conference in Russia from
>>June 20-30, 2000. The conference is intended for teachers, professors,
>>graduate students, all of whom are interested in viewing the Vygotskian
>>legacy within education in Russia today. The title will be :
>>"Psychological Development: Zone of Proximal Development." It will be
>>both a theoretical and practical conference. The first part will be
>>spent at the Vygotsky Institute of Psychology (Director, Dr. Elena
>>Kravtsova, granddaughter of L.S. Vygotsky) at the Russian State
>>University for the Humanities. It will serve as an introduction to the
>>conference, to Moscow, and to Dr. Kravtsova's Golden Key elementary and
>>middle schools. We will visit one of her schools close to Moscow in
>>Balaschika. After a couple of days the participants will go to
>>Zvenigorgod for the theoretical part of the conference, with lectures
>>from Russians and people from the West. There will be student
>>translators to help with language problems from the West. Then, there
>>will be a train ride to Belaya Kalytva, where participants will be the
>>guests at another Golden Key School. Here the practical part of the
>>conference will take place; there will be discussions with Russian youth
>>on Russian education, and demonstrations of classroom sessions at Golden
>>Key schools. The inclosed information will hopefully answer most of your
>>questions. Brochures will be ready within 10 days. Also, Dr. Elena
>>Kravtsova and her son Lev Kravtsov will be attending and speaking at the
>>AERA conference in New Orleans in April. The topic will be about the
>>Golden Key schools. You will be able to find out much more about the
>>Summer Conference at the AERA conference in personal discussions.
>>Regarding the International Vygotsky Society (IVS), it was formally
>>established last October 18, 1999, with Gita L'vovna Vygodskaya opening
>>up the Vygotsky Memorial Room. The IVS will be a Society which is
>>located in Moscow, and will be run by Russians, together with help from
>>the West. It will take time to set up the infrastructure, membership
>>categories, etc. You will be receiving more information about the IVS in
>>the next year. The summer conference will be an integral part of the
>>IVS, with the hope of attracting people in the West to Russia to see how
>>Vygotskian theory goes hand in hand with practice. Hopefully the
>>attachments will answer your questions. Feel free to write if you need
>>further information. With very best wishes to each of you, Dot Robbins
>>
>>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora1\attach\IVS summer announce.doc"
>>
>>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora1\attach\IVS brochure info..doc"

Pedro R. Portes, Ph.D
Professor of Educational
 & Counseling Psychology
(502 852-0630/ fax 0629)
http://www.louisville.edu/~prport01

"Psychosocial strength, ...depends on a total process
which regulates individual life cycles, the sequence of generations,
and the structure of society simultaneously: for all three have
evolved together" p.141 Erik Erikson (1968)