Re(3): boundaries and forwards

From: Eva Ekeblad (eva.ekeblad@ped.gu.se)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 15:30:31 PST

At 21.17 +0000 0-01-31, Martin Owen scrobe:
>>Do you see some profound incompatibility between the folks developing more
>>supportive CMC systems and folks like me, looking at what happens when
>>systems ahve been in use for a considerable time?

>No Eva, Clearly CMC is not the answer, otherwise we would all be doing it.
>
>The focus of CMC seems to be the "conference", whereas I think in a list,
>a document has a priority of its own. I suspect (and this seems to be the
>direction the work we are doing is going) the document is where the action
>is at, and we must be clever enough for the document to find its readers,
>and for readers to act in interesting ways with the (multidimensional)
>document.
>
>However, the document is only a placeholder for the conversation.

Ah, now. Did I choose an acronym that was too specific in a way that I had
no inkling of, when I picked CMC to gesture in the most vague and general
way I could think of towards all conceivable forms of computer mediated
communication? I was only trying to ask if you meant I should switch from
the kind of research I do into system development. Should I?

Eva