RE: me too Bukharin or no

From: Nate Schmolze (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 06:21:27 PST

Eugene said:

"I wonder if we ever learn about Vygotsky's real attitude toward what was
going on in the Soviet Union that time. I'd expect it to be rather complex."

I lost my notes but awhile ago in going through some of the historical
stuff; Yarochevsky, Kozulin, Valsiner & Van Der Veer there was as you say
complexities involved.

One that stood out was the quote in T&L (P.255) that stated....

"and like bees in a deserted hive
The dead words have a rotton smell"
N. Gumilev

The quote while fitting the context of the text was also a very explicit
comment on the political context. Gumilev was recently brought in by Stalin
and Vygotsky was making an explicit comment on where he stood on the Stalin
issue. My understanding was at the time of Vygotsky's death his days were
numbered in more ways than one.

I also think when we look at the "historical crisis" we can read them as
political not just theoretical or philisophical critiques. At a minimum a
critique of or at Vygotsky had political consequences. He had very serious
concerns about the "so called Marxist science".

Mike said,

"They were not Stalinists."

Eugene said,

"I think so. Besides, I think that Stalinism is not an ideology but
practice -- there is nothing to believe in. I'd recommend to see an
interesting movie titled "Stalin" (available in Blockbuster, with Robert
Duval as Stalin) based on memoirs and achieves . In this movie, Stalin's
friend Ordzhenikidze tried to convince Stalin not to eliminate Leningrad
party leader Kirov in early 30s. Ordzhenikidze said that Kirov agreed with
all your policies and decisions. Stalin replied, "I don't need anybody to
agree with Stalin!" Agreement implies freedom of decision making that was
too much for Stalin. Kirov was killed via Stalin's order."

I assume we are talking about Luria and Vygotsky here, I am curious how they
can be linked as such. The historical analysis I have read situate them as
defending themselves against Stalinism. Yet, if we define it as a practice
it becomes impossible not to be a Stalinist. If we are taking an historical
analysis of how Stalinism impacted all aspects of society and that in
different ways individuals played a role in its reproduction that is one
thing, but that seems a long way from saying one is a Stalinist.

A line a reasoning of guilt by association seems to be more in line with
Stalinism than apposed to it. I am also a little confused about the purpose
of labeling Vygotsky or Luria Stalinists. I can only imagine what it was
like to have the consequences be so high stake. I am sorry Eugene but while
I agree Vygotsy or Luria benefitted from Stalinism in some important ways
labeling them Stalinist feels like a purge to me.

Nate