Re: Teaching in Brooklyn

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 12:24:27 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

>Do you have any advice about a) how to handle the subbing, which will
>probably be in elementary and middle school, so that perhaps something
>gets taught along with the baby-sitting function, b) what to think
>about in terms of teaching elementary school next fall (summer school is
>strictly emergency remedial) and c) what sorts of ed courses are
>useful/safe to take?

        hey, Rachael! as i read your posting i thought "Wow! That teacher is
going to be close to over-extended! beaucoup!"

        i've been teaching elementary school for some time now - this is my 29th
year - and one critical element is to realize that nothing is personal.

        regardless what the kids do or say to you, positive or negative, it is
important to realize that this is a reflection on them, not you. (this is
true in all human interactions, i think.)

        often teachers don't or can't leave appropriate or complete enough lesson
plans, or any! so, have a grab-bag of activities - activities that you
love doing - hands-on, fun, interactive, - that you can do if things
aren't working out. often this means bringing in your own materials.

        as far as ed classes that are safe or not safe - it's not the
curriculum, it's the instructor. make a personal connection with the
instructor (gads! am i sounding like lord chesterfield nattering on to
his son?) -

        it's just that really effective education is about connections between
people. e. m. forster _ "only connect" - Howard's End.

        if you have a change to take a class that is about teacher as researcher,
go with it.

        use any and all ethnographic research methods you can to keep track of
what you're doing in the classroom.

        collaborate with other teachers in the school, if you can.

i'm out of here!

phillip