Problems with server

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 15:41:50 PST

Folks,

Some of you have noticed that, when you go to a webpage on
communication.ucsd.edu/MCA (or other webpages on that server) that
you get old pages, even when you know that there are more recent
pages on the server.

As we all know, new solutions mean new problems. It appears that
some interactions between the old server software I have on
communication.ucsd.edu and some current versions of Netscape are
at odds with each other. When you go to the server and try to load
a new page, for some reason your browser is pulling the old page
out of your disk cache (a place on your hard drive where Netscape
makes copies of webpages for repeated local retrieval). When this
happens, you get the old page and not the new one.

You can fix this in one of two ways. The short solution is to hold
down the shift key while hitting the "Reload" button. The better,
more permanent solution is to clear your disk cache in the preferences
dialog box.

We are getting a larger disk drive and, when we do, I will put up
a more modern version of the server software and the problem will
go away (providing us with the time to deal with the new problems
provoked by the upgraded server software).

My apologies (and please remember that I am not subscribed to
xmca@weber.ucsd.edu, so if you have responses, you'll have to make
sure that they go to me - bjones@weber.ucsd.edu - and not just back
to the list).

bj

Bruce Jones Media Center/Communication #135
Webmeister & Resident Nerd Department of Communication
bjones@ucsd.edu University of California, San Diego
(858) 534-0417/4410 9500 Gilman Drive
FAX (858) 534-7315 La Jolla, Ca. 92093-0503
-=-
Communication at UCSD: http://communication.ucsd.edu/index.html
Bruce Jones: http://communication.ucsd.edu/bjones/index.html