Teaching in Brooklyn

From: Rachel Heckert (heckertkrs@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 18:44:41 PST

I originally sent this to Mike, who suggested that I post it to the list.

I am supposed to start as a per diem sub in the New York City public
school system in Brooklyn as soon as my license gets to me in the mail.
This will probably work into a permanent sub (read unlicensed regular
teacher) job after this semester, even in the summer, since they are
expecting both a flood of retirements and a flood of summer school
students in June. (Great planning, hey? Not to mention a new temporary
chancellor who's fighting with our lovable mayor - or, more accurately,
getting fought *at*.) Once permanent, I will be licensed only to teach
K-6. Brooklyn is, as you probably know, multi-ethnic, multi-lingual and
with many, many disadvantaged students.

Also, as a part of this package, I will be required to take 12 credits of
ed, 6 of them this summer.

Do you have any advice about a) how to handle the subbing, which will
probably be in elementary and middle school, so that perhaps something
gets taught along with the baby-sitting function, b) what to think
about in terms of teaching elementary school next fall (summer school is
strictly emergency remedial) and c) what sorts of ed courses are
useful/safe to take?

I am mostly doing this as a "day job" while I finish my MPH, but also as
a way of finding out about the people and neighborhoods I will be working
in community health in (including educational programs for school-age
children and their families) and I would like to think I am doing
something good for the kids as well as just collecting a paycheck.

Many thanks,

Rachel Heckert

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.