missing something

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 17:57:38 PST

Hi Paul-- I know enough about this medium to know that untangling
rhetorical knots is extraordinarily difficult and takes a lot of
care. Put downs don't work applies to everyone. I have been badly
over-run and have not read all the mail with care but when public
discord gets over a threshold where it looks like trouble I react.
I reacted.

I really read eva and mary's early remarks differently than you did.
They are probably reading mine differently than you, etc.

There is Netiquette and something like xmca-iquette, a sub speech
community. My advice: folks should stick to what they feel they
know well and be generous in their interpretations of what others
write taking insult and injury to be the last thing they want to
give reality to. the alternative leaves us all losers.

I wish I could be more helpful. There are all sorts of questions
I have about questions of class, classrooms, workplaces, equity,
and other related topics that I can't get near when people's writen
contributions put a stop to conversation.
mike