Re: middle class/intellectual labor

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 10:42:57 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu
 writes:
> However, as we've also seen, intellectual workers tend convert
>their specific relation to the productive process into the basis for new
>kinds of domination (bureaucratic domination).

        yeah! i think Pete F. has pointed this out several times - and it's
what Leigh Star has indicated keeps methods of oppression normalized -
routinized - from, as Eugene has pointed out, boarding schools for
native americans, to, as Ogbu has pointed out, normal schools of public
education, including schools of education within universities.

        and i think too of the few prison guards who gave Vaclav Havel paper,
food, bits and pieces of respite from the normalizing routine of prison -
 in fact, Havel's description of the format norms imposed on him by the
prison director on the structure of letters were remarkably similar to
what i experienced in high school. yes, forty years ago, but i notice now
that high school teachers use the formatting capabilities of word
processing to set the present normings of what a paper should _look_ like.

phillip