RE: RE: Prototypical defining middle class

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 09:37:04 PST

Hi Martin and everybody--

Thanks a lot for such a thoughtful and elaborate response and for the
reference. I need to think about what you wrote. I agree with you that
social construction of nationalism and its consequences is a complex
phenomenon.

You touched upon another interesting phenomenon by putting in quotation
marks terms like "colony" and "empire" (although you did use the term
"empire" for "Soviet empire" without quotation marks). The quotation marks
sometimes indicate that these are somebody else's words that you are not
ready to author by yourself (in the given context, of course). Is it the
case here? If so, can you elaborate why you do not feel fully comfortable to
use the terms like colonization applied to, let's say, Quebec but feel
comfortable to use "Soviet empire"? (By the way, my own quotation marks do
not indicate disagreement with you -- I feel very comfortable to name the
Soviet Union as empire in its relations to its own minorities and
republics). Is it because it is difficult to believe that "long-established
Western democracies" cannot generate the empire-colony relations? Or is it
because for a colony to be a colony it should belong to "Third World" (I
guess, meaning to a traditional society)? Or are there some other reasons?

Also, I want to comment about "ethnonationalism." Benedict Anderson seems
to show that ideology of construction of ethnicity is always beyond of
nationalism. If you just look on political map of former colonies, you can
see that they re-present former administrative colonial units that often (if
not always) nothing to do with geographical ethnos of indigenous population.
Never the less, each new nation develops/constructs its own ethnicity as a
powerful ideological/rhetorical tool. There is no "as matter of facts" here.
For example, you can try to make to agree a Serb and Bosnian Muslim that
they "actually" belong to the same ethnicity (namely being Serb Slavs), but
under the current political circumstances, it does not makes much sense for
the participants. It is as useless as to argue to two African-American
people that they have different ethnicity because their ancestors came from
ethnically different parts of Africa. I agree with you that it is about who
is "outsider" and who is "insider" -- in short, it is about relationship. In
my view, ethnicity is about essentionalizing this relationship. By
"essentionalizing," I mean attributing/assigning properties of the
relationship to the intrinsic property (i.e., essence) of the party
participating in the relationship. For example, when my students, preservice
teachers, label some of the kids in their teaching practicum as "bad kids"
they essentionalize their own emerging relationship with the children
(probably, adversarial) as properties of the children. The next step of
essensionalization is to explain the attributed intrinsic properties. The
kids are bad because their parents neglect them, or because they are evil,
or because they were abused in past, or because they have moral vices, and
so on. Similarly, ethnicity is essensionalized as people having in common...
(language, religion, practices,...whatever you want). I remember reading a
study about French nationalists in Quebec that interviewed many-many
nationalists asking them to define who should be considered as French in
Quebec. After crossing all the definitions the result was 0, which means
that essentionalization is flexible in Quebec (or at least at the time of
the study).

What do you think?

Eugene