lurkers, selfpresentations

From: Elisa Sayeg (cyborg@uol.com.br)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 15:14:13 PST

Eva Ekeblad wrote:
> Take it as an invitation to talk about your
> research interests if you'd like to. And please, all ye lurkers, feel
> invited, too: what are YOUR interests that brought you "here"?

   I'm a lurker, too. I usually participate a lot in the discussion lists I
subscribe, but this one I find a bit difficult. I've been reading Cultural
Psychology, and find the concepts of Activity Theory very interesting. But
sometimes I lose the thread of discussions in this list, I'm not sure
whether it is because some concepts and authors are new to me, or it is more
difficult to follow messages written in English. I found a message by Mike
Cole about the relation or similarity between Bakhtin and Vygotsky specially
useful for the work I'm doing now. But a bit cryptic too, I mean, I may say
I only understand half of the comments in this message I'm mentioning. If
you can tolerate some naive questioning, I may send a message regarding this
topic to the list.

    I may also send a message about the research work I'm doing now.

    Also, I must explain why I sent a message in Portuguese to the list. I
was a bit surprised to receive a message in Portuguese about a polemic on a
film called Dogma, a polemic that in my view is a bit misplaced. Since the
list delivered this message to my inbox, I thought I had the right to reply.
I was very tired, having come back from a meeting, and did not have the
energy to write a translation of the message. I also do not know if the
message was part of a thread, or simply a fragment of conversation that
found its way to the list. Anyway, I replied, and may translate the reply
later, but this is not the focus of the list.

   Best regards to all,

   Elisa Sayeg
   cyborg@uol.com.br

   (psychologist, doctoral student, FE-USP - School of Education, University
of Sao Paulo, Brasil).