RE: tyranny on the net

From: Nate Schmolze (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 04:59:07 PST

Martin,

I agree. I think the internet has an important infrastructure. I guess
what I was trying to get at was like any medium or activity there are
serious contraints. It is not all instrumental in that the internet is this
tool we use for A or B, but that it transforms us and our activity in
central ways. For example Star and Bowker mention in their book that as
part of the interview process they did a search to find if the applicant had
a webpage. The search came up with a lot of stuff including various
postings to newsgroups. Now, when we search for a job do we want all our
newsgroup postings to be part of the public record. We seem to be very
aware of how the internet assists action, but what about its contraints.

Nate