Re: RE: RE: The internet and disinformation

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 14:58:41 PST

It will not be the best advertisers, but the best wharehouse managers and
shippers that will win the game, which is where the current portal hype
must be short lived. I personally don't care which mega net company
supplies me with a book << my local second hand book store is a different
matter>>. A simple personal experience. It is in this community I hear of
Gordon Well's new book. It is this communities opinns that I value on that
subject. Five minutes later I have it ordered. It could have been B & N,
Amazon or one of their UK equivalents... why should I care?( Billy Bragg
has asked that we boycott Borders , and who am I to disagree... I can
easily remove them from my search list.)

Of course large corporations are going to use what foresight they have to
stay viable in changing times, but that does not mean that they will
succeed or that their strategy of acquisition (TW have just merged with
EMI Music btw) is the right one. Whoever thought that Microsoft would have
ended up bigger than IBM? Certainly not Bill Gates.

m.