Re: RE: The internet and disinformation

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 08:51:50 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>They now talk of the new "3 C's" - commerce, communication, and community
>-
>in that one's subjectivity is not in oppossition to commerce but essential
>for the commerce to take place. So, yes your right that commerce has not
>squelched these other voices because by embracing those voices they are
>guaranteed future profits. Those subjectivities are very much pots of
>gold
>because any portal without a vibrant community will lose advertising $'s
>and
>partnerships with their "family of services".
 The going rate, as I understand it, 1000 dollars of capitalisation a
subscriber. The value and accuracy of this figure has obviously got to go
a long way to be validated. As I have sufggested earlier, portlas will
only be of commercial value until we have good enough "agent technology".
As a mac user , Sherlock 2 already fetches me comparative prices (eg for
books), and obviates the need to visit a specific search engine/commerce
site/portal. Its just a short step to good agent technology. No matter how
"hot" your domain name, it will be valueless under that new technological
regime.

To visit a site in future you will need a good reason to go there, so
content and community may win in the end.

In the same way I read the finance pages for the politics they teach me...
do look at "Red Herring" or at least their web site (know thine enemy).

martin O
(In an optimistic mood)