Re: backdoors, selfpresentations and xlist history

From: Ricardo Ottoni (rjapias@attglobal.net)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 18:28:15 PST

Eva Ekeblad wrote:
> Take it as an invitation to talk about your
> research interests if you'd like to. And please, all ye lurkers, feel
> invited, too: what are YOUR interests that brought you "here"?

I heard about XMCA for the first time, when I type the word "Vygotsky"
in a search blank of Yahoo Brazil. This happened in 1997. Search results
showed a few sites dedicated to him including JOÃO BATISTA MARTINS'
homepage. In JBM's homepage I knew about UCSD's XMCA-discussion list.
Then I typed UCSD and e-mailed some professors of it that had HPs
available. And two of them reply my message with Mike Cole's e-address.
Then, I e-mailed him and he advised me how to subscribe the list.

Since that time, I have been "lurking" - and I learned a lot from
doing so. Through the list I got Luciano Mecacci e-address (University
of Firenze) and got a text of Vygotsky that is not yet available in
Portuguese or Spanish: Psychology of Actor (of playing roles); Through
the list I was introduced to the books:
1) Cole's several papers and CULTURAL PSYCHOLOGY (generouslly given to
me by Professor Mike himself);
2) Yaroshevsky's LEV VYGOTSKY (generouslly sent to me by Dot Robbins -
and sent back to her);
3) Two ELVIRA LIMA's papers published in Anthopology & Education
Quarterly (generouslly given to me by Peter Farrugio);
4) Several papers written by Lois Holzman (generouslly sent to me by she
herself);
5) Several papers written by Artin Goncü (generouslly sent to me by he
himself)
and
6) Goncü's books CHILDREN'S ENGAGEMENT IN THE WORLD and GUIDED
PARTICIPATION IN CULTURAL ACTIVITY BY TODDLERS AND CAREGIVERS (the first
of them generouslly sent/given to me by Stanton Wortham, and the last
one generouslly sent/given by Artin himself.

And many interesting papers and readings and links sent attached to
e-mail by other illustrious members.

I already had written how XMCA-list has been a real ZPD to me.
My interests now-a-days are focused in children verbal and
nonverbal interactions in guided theater games in kindgarten/pre-school.

Without internet resource it would not be possible to me to be in touch
with so brilliant researchers and people and yet to have access to so
many relevant informations. This is a very positive side of x-lists. I
have been grown a lot "lurking" XMCA's discussion.