Re: The paradox of the Internet

From: Ken Goodman (kgoodman@u.arizona.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 07:54:35 PST

The internet's ability to store and make available huge amounts of
information makes it also ideal for spreading disinformation. Those who
are attacking public education have the power and funding to make their
disinformation hard to miss- and they are able to buy scholars to give
the appearance of credibility. see for example the Sandra Stotsky attack
on multicultural education, funded and promoted by the Thomas Fordham
foundation.
The internet is also widely used by journalists. When given an
assignment like write an article about this whole language/phonics stuff
go to the internet and read what everybody else in other papers has
written. Then its easier to write a piece that extends the "facts" and
views everybody else has reported than to do some investigative
journalism. I've seen repeatedly quotes from me made in an interview
with one reporter turn up in another's article.
Ken Goodman