RE: The positive side

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 16:55:19 PST

Hi everybody--

Eva wrote in response to Paul,
> >From where I am -- which is a place where I have good water,
> plenty to eat,
> telephone, net access, and tons of education -- I still do not expect much
> good from the "full effect" of the Internet, if I may extrapolate my
> intuitions. Where do you get your optimism?

I wonder if it is true that the percentage of people on the Earth who belong
to middle and upper classes has been increased in this century (I want to
remind all xmca-ers that this 20th century and 2nd millennium are not over
yet -- one more year to go -- because it were Native Americans who invented
0 and all Christian calendars started with the year 1 when Jesus Christ was
supposed to be born.)? This is definitely true for some countries (like USA,
Western Europe, Canada, Australia, Japan, Southern Korea, Taiwan). But maybe
it is even true for China, Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Middle East, and
Eastern Europe including Russia at a lesser scope. What about Africa?

Anyway, if it is true would you consider this as evidence for optimism?

What do you think?

Eugene