another citation

From: Leigh Star (lstar@ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 11:34:27 PST

One of the most challenging thinkers on race that I've read recently is
Adrian Piper, Out of order, out of sight. Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press,
c1996. 2 v.

She speaks eloquently to the US question of how we are all mixtures of
different origins. She talks brilliantly about how uncomfortable "white"
people are about having some African ancestry, which most Americans do. She
identifies as African American, and is very light skinned, and also writes
about the reactions people have had to this. She is a Cartesian
philosopher and a performance artist!

Leigh