CREATE Job

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 12:16:12 PST

Dear XMCA-ers--

As many of you are aware, we here at UCSD have been engaged in
a comprehensive effort to make access to UCSD more likely for
"under-represented populations" which in this area of the world
is defined as Native Americans, Latinos, and African- Americans.
The campus has created both a model junior-senior highschool
and mounted an effort of enrichment and engagement with school
areas which have historically not produced uc-eligible students.

Bud Mehan is head of this organization, called CREATE. This year
CREATE has been given the right to recruit a tenured faculty
member in the Communication Department to help it in its
mission. For the right applicant, it is a great job. There is
only a minimal formal requirement to teach "for CREATE" that
would most likely fit with what one would want to teach in
Communication. There is a growing infrastructure of support
with various communities that provides myriad long term
research opportunities. And it is approved that one's teaching
and research be connected.

The deadline for application is the 15th. I urge anyone with an
interest to send me their materials (I am head of the search
committee) at the address below. Also, please pass along the
word. The need locally is as great as the opportunity for a
talented researcher/teacher.
mike
Michael Cole
Communication Department -0503