time and time again

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 24 1999 - 09:58:58 PST

Dear Colleagues,

Our server is a little flakey and the house is full of kin, but I am way
behind in responding to various messages on xmca and will try some catching
up. I am moving from Dec 2 forward, so if you are tired of the discussions,
delete when you see my name coming!
mike

First message in my inbox is from Dec 2 from Paul re time. Although there
is a change in context, parts continue to make sense to me and perhaps
can be usefully built upon.

Paul was writing about Berson and time. He wrote in part:

Husserl and Heidegger also developed incisive analyses of the relationship
between "constructed/expressed time" and "lived time". Heidegger's
deconstruction of Aristotelian time; ie, the basic linear
past-present-future and instantaneous "now" model ( in Fundamental Problems
of Phenomenology, sections 19-21) is the best and most penetrating
development of this direction of which I am aware. If anyone knows of other
good work in this direction I'd like to hear about it.

-------
I have only read ABOUT Heidegger, Paul. And I suspect I am not alone
in this. In my own work I appear to have stumbled on part of this
idea in my argument for the non-linearlity of culturally mediated
time while assuming something like "linear physical time" as
something like Aristotealian time. Apropos of later discussions,
does one form take precedence in understanding human nature over the
other? Is one reducible to the other? Can one be dispensed with in
the service of human endeavors?
------
Many of the issues Bergson developed around the confusion between the two
types of time, e.g., the question of freedom v. determinism, seem relevant
to discussions that occur on xmca, e.g. agency/structure.
-------
Could you give an example? I have gone looking for my copy of
Creative Evolution but without success so far.
-----

A lot to ask, but I am both too ignorant to appreciate part of what
you are saying and curious.
mike