RE: system boundaries in virtual reality

From: Nate Schmolze (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 05:18:51 PST

Paul,

I don't think its politically incorrect necessarily, but then maybe I do.
One reason I watched the film was in response to Foucault's emphasis on the
matrix. I was interested in reading the film's approach to the matrix
against Foucault.

My initial reaction was it was so "western" (what ever that is) in that we
were trapped in this matrix-system but there is some space out there in
which we can be free of power-culture. Similar to Gaskins when she argues
culture tends to be thought about as a dependent variable that distorts our
view of the individual rather than culture (matrix) being inseperable it.

This is where I find the activity theory lens the most useful, because it
does not attempt to situate one outside the system. Unlike, some
deconstructionist who intentionally or not talk as if somehow or somewhere
we can transend power and culture. The whole notion of carnival has been
discussed in this light which was part of my reaction to the Pokemon stuff.

PS: the breeding was cool, now my kids know why they have a belly button.

Nate