Re: New papers

From: Anna Strumphler (W.deVries@net.HCC.nl)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 01:33:01 PST

At 10:31 16-12-99 -0800, you wrote:
>We have two new papers that may be of interest to some members of xmca.
> ...connection between toddlers' social play and cultural context based on
observations in
>communities in Turkey, Guatemala, India, and the U.S. This paper is in
>press in International Journal of Behavioural Development.
>>In another paper, Elsa Weber and I reported an observational study
>examining preschoolers' classroom activities (i.e., play and
>problem-solving) and interactions (i.e., management, assistance, and
>collaboration) with their peers and teachers.
>If you want to see either of these papers, please drop me a note off the
>net. Artin

Dear Artin,

I 'd be most gratefull if you could send me the papers. Personally I am very
interested. But I am also asking for the papers on behalf of my Dutch friend
Ines de Jonge. Ines works in Guatemala in a large Europian Union funded
project
aiming at and contributing to the qualitative improvement of the education
system
by the gouvernment of Guate.
In this context Ines recently worked with a training institute for
teachers. She
developed with the students and their teachers an observation scheme,
directed at
getting information about the development, skills and knowledge of
preschool children
(about 6 y) before they enter school, so that the students could get a
picture about the
psychological and cultural "luggage" with which local children (mostly
Indian) enter
school. The students actually used the scheme in their visits in homes and
villages of
the local people with children who are about to go to school. They paid
much attention to
the children's play and drawing. The students are very enthousiastic about
the project.
Now all the information gathered by the students must be 'processed' by
them and their
teachers under supervision of Ines. Maybe the articals you wrote can be of
significans
to Ines' work in some way (f.i. principles of ordening, interpretation etc.
or inspiration).
I am looking forward to receive your articles. As Ines is in Holland at the
moment, I
can print them and give them to her.
BTW is it your intention to e-mail them?
Or can I doawnload them from a webside?
I am looking forward to hear from you.

Anna Strumphler
Anna Strumphler, e-mail: W.deVries@net.HCC.nl