Community college/four year articulations

From: Paul Dillon (dillonph@northcoast.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 23:12:58 PST

Mike,

Thanks for your comments on my response to your question. As you know, the
community college-university connection is also one that concerns me. When
you note that efforts "have primarily provided me with bricks falling on my
head" the carrilon bells chime loudly in my brain, as I'm sure my colleagues
in this endeavor say can as well. The problems abound. I'm curious to
know what kinds of bricks you've had falling on you and where they fall
from: from the ccs or from the university side (or both). Lot's of people
in four year institutions have quite low esteem for community colleges (and
by implication their students) even though cc transfers make up as much as
50% of the junior class at many CSUs, probably less at the UCs.

I was a community college student and personally had a wonderful experience
with many stimulating (and highly accessible) instructors. The community
colleges provide an extremely important institution for students from
disempowered segments of our society as well as for lots of people who come
to appreciate the value of education after having spent their high school
years (perhaps justifiably) either hating school or just too much into other
adolescent pursuits to value it very much.

Paul H. Dillon