Re(2): Culture and cultures

From: Martin Owen (mowen@rem.bangor.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 08:40:42 PST

Diane writes

>it is western science that promotes the practice of sterilizing women in
>thirdworld countries,

Surely not. This is reifying science too far. Science is a human activity.
As with most scripts, the actor can choose the beats and the cadences. The
following words of Bathkin are true of scientists as they are of any other
human (including Margret in her narrative that started this round if this
debate):

" I can mean what I say only indirectly, at a second remove, in the words
I take and give back to the community according to the protocols it
establishes. My voice can mean, but only with others: at times a chorus,
but at the best of times in a dialogue"

Of course we can be sure of the following:
man in the bonds of Hell."
St. Augustine (354-430) from DeGenesi ad Litteram, Book II, xviii, 37

Martin Owen