Empathy & science

From: Genevieve Patthey-Chavez (ggpcinla@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 12 1999 - 16:06:10 PST

I am intrigued by some of Diane's reflections ...

Diane writes to Staton:

>You want to understand the relations of narrative and emotional activity?
>You could see a therapist: why try to make it science? Because you care so
>much? I mean if all this is about how much you care, then there are
>certainly other ways to write about it; but there is certainly no
>compassion without empathy, and I cannot for the life of me understand how
>science can practice empathy in its methods and still consider itself
>scientific, anymore than I can understand how a social scientist can act
>compassionately without some emotional risk -

I do want to understand the relations of narrative & emotional activity --
(that is, if I can figure out what emotional activity is). It's one of my
many curiosities, one of the many reasons why I became (also) an
applied linguist. I'm quite convinced that human beings have told
stories (narratives?) & made art for 30'000 years, and I'm fascinated.

Finally, do you really mean it? Is this our choice: science or empathy?

Genevieve