RE: december reading

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 20:48:14 PST

Nate, I'm looking forward to Stanton's response to your very interesting
reading. I'll take a risk here to suggest that those of us who are
interested in discursive positioning are the ones who don't feel comfortable
in the positions readily available to us. Although I can't imagine Stanton
acknowledging a subjective/objective divide, I CAN see a tension between
irrational/rational in the analysis. Stanton, you didn't realize, didja,
that you'd be staging your own psychoanalysis here....

Judy

At 07:59 PM 12/10/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Stanton,
>
>I have read the paper a few times now and have mixed feelings about whose
>story it is. The interviewer continues to come to mind especially in the
>switch from 5 to 13. You tend to describe this as developmental, yet I am
>left wondering the role of the experiementer and the surrounding context in
>this switch. Although, the experimenter was "unresponsive" s/he definately
>seemed to continually set the stage for what kind of narrative construction
>this was.
>
>I also sensed a privledging of sorts on the analytical end with the victim
>(5 year old) and the more distanced, rational narrative of the 13 year old
>self. I sensed a subjective-objective oppossition in which the objective
>(distanced) was seen as inherently better. The latter was of course more in
>lines with the object of the research as in organizing the story into
>chapters.
>
>Since the story was for research purposes it is most likely not only
>Margaret's, but also the interviewer, and as the author, yours to a certain
>extent. If we can see it as yours for a moment, there seems to be a story
>about the subjective-objective divide.
>
>Like Margaret at 13, maybe a story of how we can objectively talk about the
>subjective. Narrative has historically been seen on the subjective end
>(thinking of Bruner)and curious how that fits in with your story. I may be
>reading too much into it, but I did sense this tension or contradiction
>between the subjective and objective and was curious how it fit into your
>work especially in regards to research.
>
>Nate

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183