RE: december reading

From: Nate Schmolze (schmolze@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 17:59:09 PST

Stanton,

I have read the paper a few times now and have mixed feelings about whose
story it is. The interviewer continues to come to mind especially in the
switch from 5 to 13. You tend to describe this as developmental, yet I am
left wondering the role of the experiementer and the surrounding context in
this switch. Although, the experimenter was "unresponsive" s/he definately
seemed to continually set the stage for what kind of narrative construction
this was.

I also sensed a privledging of sorts on the analytical end with the victim
(5 year old) and the more distanced, rational narrative of the 13 year old
self. I sensed a subjective-objective oppossition in which the objective
(distanced) was seen as inherently better. The latter was of course more in
lines with the object of the research as in organizing the story into
chapters.

Since the story was for research purposes it is most likely not only
Margaret's, but also the interviewer, and as the author, yours to a certain
extent. If we can see it as yours for a moment, there seems to be a story
about the subjective-objective divide.

Like Margaret at 13, maybe a story of how we can objectively talk about the
subjective. Narrative has historically been seen on the subjective end
(thinking of Bruner)and curious how that fits in with your story. I may be
reading too much into it, but I did sense this tension or contradiction
between the subjective and objective and was curious how it fit into your
work especially in regards to research.

Nate