Re: Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): the whiteness of middle class play

From: Judy Diamondstone (diamonju@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 13:20:12 PST

Paul, thanks for pointing out the confusion. I was thinking of a particular
phenomenon that isn't generalizable to every text. The note was meant to be
evocative; allusive; to invite reflection on our own ways with words.
Obviously, it was not effective. Judy

At 10:46 AM 12/7/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Judy,
>
>You write:
>
>"How is it that the texts we write repeat us? That the (positive) assertions
>we make of others so consistently mirror our strenghts, and the (negative)
>assertions we make of others so consistently mirror our own deficiencies."
>
>following this line of reasoning one could come to the conclusion that the
>critique that something is "white, male, and middle class" mirrors a "white
>male middle class" position. Surely this isn't what you mean to say.

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183