FW: Seattle Coffee Party (fwd)

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 10:00:19 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Whitson [mailto:twhitson@UDel.Edu]
Sent: Friday, December 03, 1999 10:57 PM
To: Jeanne L Benin; Diana Wearne; Eugene Matusov; Hope Longwell-Grice
Subject: Seattle Coffee Party (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 22:53:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Tony Whitson <twhitson@UDel.Edu>
To: TRSE Forum <TRSE-L@LISTSERV.BINGHAMTON.EDU>
Subject: Seattle Coffee Party

This week I observed an 8th grade class on events culiminating in the
Boston Tea Party, and the idea occured that it might be effective to
compare that event with the events this past week in Seattle. I am not
tendentiously presuming that both are the same; rather, I am serious about
COMPARING them: I think the comparison is in many ways more justified
than we might think at first (e.g, with the issues of subjection to
decisions made without representation), but the activity of analyzing
differences as well as similarities should shed light on the Boston Tea
Party as well as current events. Moreover, it would integrate history
with geography, politics, and economics (as well as natural science, etc.,
in the WTO case). Finally, it would focus on the powerful dilemma of
market vs. political decision making.

Anyway, here's a couple sites with photos that I think are interesting in
this regard:

http://www.nytimes.com/library/world/global/120299wto-protest-pix.6.html

http://www.ran.org/ran/ran_campaigns/wto/992911crane.html

Tony Whitson twhitson@udel.edu