ASIO Gains Right to Tap Private Computers - www.ntsecurity.net

From: Roger Clough (roger.clough@nist.gov)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 06:57:06 PST

www.ntsecurity.net
>ASIO Gains Right to Tap Private Computers
>Sunday, November 28, 1999 - Australian Parliament has passed new laws
that
>permit the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation
(ASIO,equivalent
of
>the CIA) to tap the computers of private users. Not only can ASIO tap
>anyone's system, but the new laws also allow ASIO to alter, add
>or delete private data, if that action is required to gain any required
>access.
>
>The new Amendment Bill was passed on November 25, 1999 -- the idea was
>originally set forth in May. The ASIO act had remained previously
unchanged
>since 1979, and more than one member of Parliment complained that the
new
>bill was rushed through too fast.
>
>Australian Democrats say the new law is a serious breach of every
>Australian's privacy, while others say there is now a huge potential
for
>evidence to become planted or tampered with to sway an investigation.
Little
>if any check and balance is in place that requires integrity
assurances.

[snip]
>If this keeps up I will be seeking other shores... or join the
revolution.

>best,
>
>Chris.

Life is improv theater. Visit my personal (non-NIST)drama website at
http://www.erols.com/rclough. See my Chi Coltrane Appreciation Page
at http://members.xoom.com/rclough/ . My music site at
http://music.acmecity.com/ambient/201/
Roger B. Clough, B254 Materials Bldg., NIST, 100 Bureau Drive,
Gaithersburg MD 20899-8553 USA ||| Phone: 301-975-6143 FAX: 301-975-4553
Home email (use after 12/31/99): rclough@erols.com