Re(2): silence, not absence

From: Leigh Star (lstar@ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 09:55:34 PST

>Diane, That is a good idea about the spring reading. perhaps some
>excerpts from Rich's prose as well, On Lies, Secrets and Silences?

Yes, I hear your meaning about self-silencing. I do include that in active
silencing, too, although of a different sort (along the lines of our
appropriation discussion).

For me, I continue to work within many of the forms that try to silence
difference. As difficult as it is, in the long term I keep returning to
explore the tensions and contradictions. Sometimes they even help me be
creative. I guess for me it's not a monolithic thing, but something I keep
re-deciding all the time...and then other times, you just need to escape
and put your feet up.

I think many of the questions you are asking are ancient, mysteries and
passions that take a lifetime to explore. thanks for staying with these
spaces.

Leigh

Susan Leigh Star, Professor
Department of Communication