Re: benign and neutral concepts of sociocultural theory ?

Diane Hodges (dhodges who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:11:29 -0700

xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>Diane, what a productive nightmare !
>Thankyou.
>
>One corrective principle that I try to inject into my work is the notion
>of mutual benefits to be derived by both theory and practice from
>critically examining their interface. Not only is "nothing so practical as
>a good theory," (Kurt Lewin), but also "an actor who is oriented to
>understanding in this sense <that his or her contention is 'open to
>objective appraisal'> must raise at least three validity claims with his
>(or her) utterance": instrumental fit with the objective world; normative
>fit with social expectations; and authenticity (Jurgen Habermas).
>
>Robert

robert - many thanks for reading my nightmatish interpretations as
productive. :)

i always wonder how theory and practice were separated,
when in my work i have always found theory to be a practice,
and practice to be an activation of theory = what i have most appreciated
about
vygotskyian traditions is this very practice of theorizing,

and what i am ceaselessly astonished by is the assumption
that ideas/literacy are/is distinct from the ways we "are" always "being"
[verb] in the world - indeed,
bahktin wrote it best in the notions of 'heteroglossia' altho i tend to
prefer

homoglossia, in that like-types are invariably drawn together.

i had read/studied habermas, but i guess i find he lacks any
critical-material
grasp of discourse,

and i confess i still sympathize with the 1930s Horkheimer, founder of the
Frankfurt Institute,
and the one who said we (intellectuals) have a responsibility to make our
work relevant to social
oppressions -

ah.
a hopeless idealist, i are.
many thanks for appreciating my nightmares though.
diane

' 'We have destroyed something by our presence,' said Bernard, 'a
world perhaps.'
(Virginia Woolf, "The Waves")

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, vancouver / university of colorado, denver

Diane_Hodges who-is-at ceo.cudenver.edu