Re: November trains

Leigh Star (lstar who-is-at ucsd.edu)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 02:05:50 -0800

Thanks, Jay.

One resource for thinking about this is Strauss and Corbin's notion of
trajectories in chronic illness. Geof Bowker and I take this up in our
paper in MCA on tuberculosis trajectories. Chronic illness is interesting
because it is a kind of window into how different trajectories (I'm not yet
sure of the difference between time scale and trajectory, except I think
either can become the property of the other) can align, collide, knarl up,
etc. So for example a heart attack may bring a career trajectory to a much
slower pace, may stop altogether the career of being a cigarette smoker,
and affect other biographical trajectories in other ways.

What I find especially useful about the model is the language it begins to
develop for these cross-level interactions (Stefan Timmermans at Brandeis
has elaborated the model in helpful ways too). So for example several
trajectories can become clearly aligned, and "crystallize" together for a
time. In the opposite direction, trajectories can splinter each other or
cause stutters.

Just to make things more complicated, not only are we waiting to get on
certain trains, but we're travelling simultaneously on Amtrak, local
trolley, in our cars, on our bikes, and on the TGV (fast French
trains). Now this is beyond mixed metaphors, it's positively a mess.

L*

Here's some references for those interested in this work:

Unending work and care : managing chronic illness at home /, Juliet M.
Corbin, Anselm Strauss. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1988.

Bowker, Geoffrey and Susan Leigh Star. Sorting Things Out: Classification
and Its Consequences. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1999.
(http://weber.ucsd.edu/~gbowker/classification/)

Susan Leigh Star and Geoffrey Bowker. 1997. "Of Lungs and Lungers: The
Classified Story of Tuberculosis," Mind, Culture and Activity 4:
3-23. Reprinted in Anselm Strauss and Juliet Corbin, ed. Pp. 197-227,
Grounded Theory in Practice, Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE, 1997.

Timmermans, Stefan. 1996. 'Saving Lives or Saving Identities? The Double
Dynamic of Technoscientific Scripts.' Social Studies of Science. 26: 767-797.

Timmermans, Stefan. 1998'Mutual Tuning of Multiple Trajectories,' In
Symbolic Interaction 21: