RE: culture and CHAT

Eugene Matusov (ematusov who-is-at udel.edu)
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 21:18:12 -0500

Hi Mike---

Thanks a lot for your description of Russian relation between history and
culture:
> I have tried ( with mixed results) to capture the idea of culture as
> related to history by referring to culture as "history in the present"
> and it is in this form that I work on the levels problem that is
> the subject of current discussion.

Culture is slice of history -- this is very precise capturing Russian
(German?) approach! I think it is possible to find a good quote from Goethe
(sp? German poet, writer and philosopher at the end XVIII, beginning of XIX
century).

Eugene