Re: November identities

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 07:49:28 -0600

Jay,

Actually I saw byproduct a little differently. My concern with identity
was not so much it being a byproduct, but historically education as an
activity setting turns byproducts into a rather explicit objects. For
example, internalization happens in any cultural activity, but for better
or worse in education it becomes an explicit goal and technologies have
emerged that measure it.

When one looks at recent attacks on whole language, new math, and other
curricular ideas it is one where the tension is not only about product vs.
process, but also identity. In reading Tudge and Co's. chapter in Artin's
book on play, it reinforced the notion that education is centrally about
identity. Education (highschool vs higher education) was the determiner of
working class / middle class and it very much impacted identity in the
sense of parental values during the preschool age.

Implicitly or explicitly identity has always been a part of education, and
I saw you pointing towards looking at it with a more explicit focus, which
I agree with. Lave (1991) stays away from the educational context for good
reasons, although, the notion of "community of practice" has been applied
in that arena. My concern lies when terms like identity are used as a good
"in itself" without asking the question of "what" such as what kind of
identities are being created in schools.

I agree when you say,

"But we are always in the process of 'doing identity' as we do other
things, and which things we do, or how passionately or seriously or
interestedly we engage with them, often makes more sense when viewed in
terms of how they sustain or advance identity projects than otherwise.

Yet, as Walkerdine describes it the above would be part of the "regulation
of pleasure" that, we, as educators create environments for. Or as Rose
(1999) argues that "freedom" is not in opposition to governing but a
technique of governing itself. I don't assume that education can not be
about identity, its part of education and culture, what I do have concerns
about is when identity is seen as a good "in itself".

A "what" may point towards how the opportunities we give children are very
limiting. To use Gloria Landsing Billings language we give students
minimal opportunities to experience "success". If one, for a host of
reasons, is not that "successful" in the more academic aspects of schooling
one is left out in the cold. So, while agreeing that identity is central
and connected to the historical timescale I am left with what it all means.
Does it mean that education becomes a broader concept that takes into
account the multiplicity of histories that are involved, or is it another
tool in which we as educators "exploit" those histories for our
assimulationist project.

/\ / /\ | /-----
/ \ / /__\ ---|--- /---

Nate Schmolze
http://www.geocities.com/~nschmolze/
schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu

"Pedogogics is never and was never politically indifferent,
since, willingly or unwillingly, through its own work on the psyche,
it has always adopted a particular social pattern, political line,
in accordance with the dominant social class that has guided its
interests".

L.S. Vygotsky