Re: A question of selves

Judy Diamondstone (diamonju who-is-at rci.rutgers.edu)
2 Nov 1999 14:47:13 -0000

Dear Vera, Do you know anything about the position opening at your
institution for someone in sociocultural approaches to education? I may be
interested in applying for it. Anything you can tell me would be helpful.
Thank you,
Judy

At 02:45 PM 10/28/99 -0600, you wrote:
>It seems to me that the selves of which Judy writes are different facets
>of the functional system of self. When focusing on a coherent account
>of one's life, one aspect of remembered experiences is mobilized. In
>conversational contexts an other facet emerges, that of a very immediate
>awareness of the otherwith whom one co-constructs utterances, thoughts,
>and opinions. These govern the practice of voicing. Audience,
>artifacts, purpose all contribute to mobilizing the subset of
>possibilities that are part of the dynamics of the "self,
>or what Wenger refers to as "identity as a focus of social selfhood."
>In my class on collaboration, students speak of the simultaneously
>experiencing mutuality and autonomy; they embrace Penuel and Wertsch's
>statement about the irreducible tension of the individual and the
>social.
>Vera
>---------------------------------
>Vera P. John-Steiner
>Department of Linguistics
>Humanities Bldg. 526
>University of New Mexico
>Albuquerque, NM 87131
>(505) 277-6353 or 277-4324
>Internet: vygotsky who-is-at unm.edu

Judith Diamondstone (732) 932-7496 Ext. 352
Graduate School of Education
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1183