Re: development question

Bill Barowy (wbarowy who-is-at mail.lesley.edu)
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 22:29:56 -0400

Hi Ricardo,

David Elkind has produced a number of videos for teacher preparation that
draw upon developmental approaches and his comment appeared in the one
called "Using what we know". The video claims to address Piagetian theory.
The video seemed provocative, and at the same time, it made some good
points that you don't expect to come from a pure Piagetian developmental
perspective. Maybe good fodder for discussion next semester. I'm hoping
that the "people in the know" on xmca ( recent discussions on play and
development indicate that there are many) may have insights to what Elkind
is about.

BB

>Would you please tell where (book, article etc) did you picked it up
>from him?
>

>Bill Barowy wrote:
>>
>> Folks,
>>
>> I am looking for a little background on Elkind. When he says "development
>> is universal, and not culturally biased" what does he mean exactly?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> BB

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley College, 31 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]